Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh the Grandiose Glory of the "Show"

To recap the plastic fantastic things I've experienced in the past weeks to put on the show going on now, I suppose I should begin with...
Frames.
That was the first major issue, as described in the post below.
The next issue was finding mattes for drawings, and this was relatively easy. After measuring the interior, I found 8x10 inch black mattes (to match the frames) with a 5x7 inch opening for the picture. The problem was that the mattes came with no backing, so I bought separate backing at a different location to finish their presentation.
Next I researched the various ways to laminate, and after having a disastrous experience at Kinkos that melted my mugshots, I found self-stick lamination sheets that didn't require heat. This was difficult because presentation-wise bubbles tend to make themselves known in this particular method and I warred and rampaged against the lamination bubbles until the difference between the heat method and stick method were unnoticeable.
Now printing the big photos were in order, and Costco did the deed. Afterwords I had them vacuumed to poster-board so that the photographs wouldn't ripple in their frames, because in the research and asking around I did I found out that photos sticking against glass is no bueno and will hurt the pictures if there is ANY humidity.
Once this was done, I had to find chains for my mugshots to dangle under the larger frames, and went to all sorts of craft stores and hardware stores, and eventually found some large jewelry chain that fit the bill. Along with the chain I found some tiny metal screws for the bottom of the frames to attach the chained pictures, and this proved a laborious process to meet to completion due to the daintiness of the chain, size of screws in comparison to the drill on hand, and density of the frames.
Oi, the horror.
But all went well, the show is up.
The reception went well, food was prepared for it personally and this was a project all unto itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment